Members of Chambers have been instructed in major construction and energy law disputes throughout the Middle East for over 50 years. They offer a significant body of knowledge of civil and commercial law in the Middle East, and experience of Shariah law.
Barristers at Atkin Chambers are recognised for their work in The Legal 500 EMEA guide (Middle East) in which Chambers is cited as “certainly one of the best, if not the best, sets in relation to construction and engineering matters – the experience its members have is really the one you need for complex, international disputes”.
Major construction and energy law disputes throughout the Middle East
Members worked originally on projects such as the Das Island oil and gas works in the Persian Gulf, the Kuwait Airport and Port Rashid Dubai. In recent times countries across the Middle East have been spending unprecedented amounts on cutting-edge infrastructure particularly in connection with power, water, health and transportation.
Members are regularly instructed in large and high-profile civil engineering & infrastructure law disputes concerning such projects. Recently members have been instructed in matters about the following:
- Muscat International Airport
- Significant commercial and residential developments, leisure stadia and complexes such as the Palm Jumeirah
- Highways projects in Oman
- Dubai Marina
- Dubai International Airport
- New embassy building
- Government infrastructure projects including hospital and universities
- Major medical complex
- Dubai Metro
- Transport systems – airports, road and rail projects and marine facilities
Energy disputes in the Middle East
Members also frequently act in energy law disputes particularly oil and gas projects that are characteristic of the Middle East region.
- Power plant construction in renewable energy related to solar plants, wind farms and biomass plants/ energy from waste projects
- Some of the world’s largest projects in LNG
- Oil and gas including power generation plant and petrochemical refineries (including the Pearl Project in Qatar).
- Storage and transportation/distribution disputes in renewables and oil and gas including, FPSOs, jack-up and semisubmersible drilling rigs, storage facilities, dredging and subsea cabling and pipe-laying vessels, and rail links eg gasfields to port.
- Mining – coal and phosphates – and the construction of coal-fired power plants
- Large-scale water supply, wastewater recycling and desalination construction projects in the UK
- Wider related commercial work such as performance bonds, land sale and purchase for development, and corporate acquisitions
To download our brochure please click here or to view online please click below.