Tenancy at Atkin Chambers
Applications for Tenancy
Chambers aims to make tenancy decisions in early July of the following year (approximately 10 months into pupillage). Candidates are notified of the results of their applications immediately after the decision is made.
Applications for tenancy is a structured approach based on:
- Written reports on pupils’ progress from each of the pupil supervisors with whom a pupil has spent time during pupillage.
- The on-going assessment process from throughout pupillage.
- The panel work, the advocacy exercise and the test paper as provided by the Pupillage and Recruitment Committee.
Life as a tenant
- Equal emphasis is placed on the practices of all members from the most junior to the most senior members of the building.
- Junior barristers are allocated a senior mentor who provides invaluable guidance and support in the early years.
- New tenants can look forward to a busy and varied practice from the start. As one junior tenant of Chambers noted: “Within 30 minutes of the call from my pupil supervisor informing me that my tenancy application had been successful, the clerks were on the phone with my first two sets of instructions and I have been busy ever since.”
- Members work across the globe and there are opportunities for significant international experience early on. Recently junior tenants have worked abroad on arbitrations in Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe and have been seconded to law firms in Hong Kong, Korea and Singapore.
- Juniors given opportunities early to speak at conferences and attend industry events domestically and internationally, and to contribute to industry publications.
- All barristers benefit from great practice and administrative support. The clerking team are supported by specialist finance, marketing and administrative staff. The practice management team at Atkin Chambers are highly recommended as being “always friendly and accommodating”, and providing “a professional and attentive service” (Legal 500).
- All tenants, including juniors, have their own room (to completely make their own) and enjoy a high standard of accommodation and facilities within Chambers. Our newly refurbished building provides members with first-class client conferencing facilities. Members are supported by an excellent facilities management team providing IT support and library assistance.
- New tenants benefit from a generous reduction in the contribution expected from each barrister towards Chambers’ expenses.
- There are plenty of opportunities for socialising within Chambers from daily afternoon tea, Friday night drinks, monthly lunches, client marketing events, and regular internal get-togethers for barristers and staff.