Rupert Choat will be co-chairing the 7th Biennial IBA Conference on “Construction Projects from Conception to Completion” in Berlin between 31 October and 2 November 2019. He will be joined by co-chair Rouven F Bodenheimer, Partner, Bodenheimer Herzberg.
The conference is being co-presented by the IBA International Construction Projects Committee of the Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law Section (SEERIL) and the IBA Young Lawyers’ Committee, supported by the IBA European Regional Forum.
Topics for the event will include:
- • FIDIC’s 2017 v FIDIC’s 1999 Conditions
• Defects liability periods (and the like): what are the pitfalls?
• Smart contracts: how might technology disruption change construction contracts as we know them?
• The importance of the applicable law. How far do lawyers from civil law and common law backgrounds view the same construction law issues differently?
• Hardship laws in times of uncertainty: when might contractors successfully rely upon such laws?
• The (in)applicability of liquidated damages for delay and the relevant factors that drive their reduction in many jurisdictions
• The IBA Rules vs the Prague Rules in construction arbitrations
• Arbitrator selection: ethics and considerations
• Prospective vs retrospective assessments under construction contracts
For further information and to book a place, go to the IBA website.