Patrick has broad experience dealing with fee and professional negligence claims for and against a wide range of professional including architects, surveyors, quantity surveyors and their indemnity insurers. Recent cases, on all of which he was instructed as sole counsel, include:
- Acting on several professional negligence claims, including adjudications, concerning the alleged negligent issue of Practical Completion Certificate, valuation and defects by a number of architects.
- Acting for a firm of structural engineers in relation to allegations of defective design in relation to the construction of a studio complex for ITV in Manchester that included the Coronation Street sets and studios.
- Acting on a professional negligence claim in the Technology and Construction Court against Mechanical and Electrical engineers for defects, delays and disruption, and loss and expense arising out of the design and supervision of heating, air conditioning and water supplies to a London Hotel.
- Acting for the insurers of a designer building contractor in respect of defective design allegations relating to the design of a concrete floor slab.
He also has extensive experience of advising on the effect and requirements of the insurance provisions of standard form building and engineering contracts, and advising on coverage issues arising in building and other commercial environments including:
- Advising on the extent and relationship between coverage required by national regulation and contract in the context of a water supplier and issues with the quality of supply.
- Advising on the scope of coverage in relation to the deliberate and criminal acts of workers.
- Advising on the scope of insurance required (and therefore obtained) in relation to employer’s liabilities across international borders.