Caspar joined Atkin Chambers as a tenant in September 2022, following successful completion of his pupillage. Caspar has trained in Chambers’ core practice areas of construction, engineering and infrastructure, energy and utilities, and technology.
He is familiar with a broad range of bespoke and standard form contracts including JCT, NEC, FIDIC and ACE standard forms. Caspar has gained experience at all stages of litigation, adjudication and arbitration.
Caspar holds a double first in Politics and International Relations and an MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History from the University of Cambridge. He received distinctions for his performance on both the GDL and the Bar Vocational Studies course at City, University of London.
During his studies, Caspar worked as a Guest Lecturer at the City Law School, delivering lectures and workshops on mooting skills. He was an oralist for Gray’s Inn’s Vis Moot international arbitration team. The team was the most successful in the Inn’s history, receiving an honourable mention for the Eric E. Bergsten Award for Best Team Orals in the international finals.
Caspar also interned with Debevoise & Plimpton LLP, Kaiser Associates (a strategy consulting firm), and a technology startup. He continues to work with a social development NGO which provides educational and employment opportunities to young people based in a favela outside Rio de Janeiro.
CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
During pupillage Caspar drafted numerous advices, pleadings and skeleton arguments for technically complex disputes, ranging from large projects to residential works contracts. He has gained particular experience in claims for cladding and fire-stopping issues discovered since the Grenfell Tower tragedy. He is familiar with all standard forms as well as bespoke contracts. Recent work includes:
- In a claim for fire safety defects by a contractor against subcontractors in a PFI project, drafting an advice on limitation and the merits of the claim.
- Drafting an advice on limitation and procedural issues with an accompanying particulars of claim in multiparty proceedings relating to defective cladding in student accommodation blocks.
- Drafting a defence and additional claim against a third party in a claim by a high street retailer against a design and build contractor under a JCT standard form contract.
- Drafting an advice for an employer on the merits of a claim against nine potential defendants for fire safety defects in a care home.
- Assisting in drafting an advice on the construction of an insurance policy and quantum of a claim involving subsidence of a warehouse.
- In a dispute involving a PFI contract for the maintenance of a hospital, drafting an advice on contractual interpretation.
- Drafting an advice on termination clauses in an amended NEC3 contract for the decontamination of a site.
- Drafting a particulars of claim in a multiparty residential party wall dispute.
- Drafting a skeleton argument for an interim application for extended disclosure in a dispute arising out of a contract for fire safety inspections.
- Drafting an advice on reasonable settlement parameters in a dispute concerning fire safety in the maintenance of a hospital.
- Drafting multiple pleadings in claims for defects in the construction and renovation of residential housing.
- Drafting an advice on limitation and an accompanying particulars of claim for renovation works to houses under a local council scheme.
- Drafting an advice on the merits of a claim against an insurer and under a conditional bond arising out of a project on a water treatment plant.
ENERGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Caspar’s energy and natural resources experience during pupillage includes:
- Drafting an advice on the contractual interpretation of a joint venture agreement for the construction and maintenance of electrical infrastructure and the transmission of energy.
- Providing research for a senior junior in Chambers in an insurance claim concerning the design and installation of biomass gasification CHP technology.
- Drafting advice on the merits of a claim concerning the construction of an offshore wind farm.
ARBITRATION AND ADJUDICATION
Caspar developed experience in a number of international arbitrations and adjudications, during pupillage including:
- Working with a Queen’s Counsel in Chambers in a civil fraud claim in an international arbitration under DIFC-LCIA Rules, providing research relating to the evidential basis of fraud allegations, the effect of express terms to the effect that warranties were agreed upon due and careful inquiry, and restraint of trade.
Drafting a response to a ‘smash and grab’ adjudication claim engaging complex payment provisions.
GENERAL COMMERCIAL LITIGATION
Caspar gained experience in a range of commercial disputes during pupillage, including:
- Assisting in research for an insurance claim, providing research outputs relating to whether an engineer had guaranteed the accuracy of its drawings and whether the information represented in a notification under a policy gave rise to an estoppel from contradicting that information in a later claim.
Drafting a written advice relating to the construction of exclusion clauses in a sale of goods contract.
Drafting an advice on settlement offers, involving issues of maintenance and champerty.
Drafting skeleton arguments for various interim applications, including for the adjournment of a trial, extended disclosure and summary judgement and/or strike out.
QUALIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
City, University of London
2020-2021 BVS (Distinction)
- Prince of Wales Scholarship awarded by Gray’s Inn
- City Law School Scholarship for Academic Excellence
2019-2020 GDL (Distinction)
- The Frances Moran Scholarship awarded by Gray’s Inn
- GDL Scholarship awarded by The City Law School
- 11 KBW Prize for finishing top of his year in Public Law, with a mark of 100%
Jesus College, University of Cambridge
2019 MPhil in Political Thought and Intellectual History
2015-18 BA Hons in Politics and International Relations (Double First)
- The Keller Prize awarded by Jesus College to five graduating students for exceptional academic performance across their undergraduate studies
- Malthus Prize awarded by Jesus College for finishing top of his year in Part IIA Human, Social and Political Sciences
- Theology and Religious Studies Prize awarded by Jesus College for finishing top of his year in Part I Theology and Religious Studies
- Two Scholarships awarded by Jesus College
- Exhibition awarded by Jesus College
Caspar speaks conversational Spanish and Portuguese.