Shourav is a specialist construction and international arbitration lawyer with over 20 years of experience advising on energy and infrastructure disputes. He represents clients in the onshore and offshore oil & gas, petrochemicals, power, infrastructure and building sectors on the procurement, design, engineering and construction of major projects. He has also represented Asian companies in investigations and sanctions proceedings brought by the World Bank.
Shourav has practised law in Hong Kong, Singapore, London, Dubai and Beijing. He has appeared as counsel in court, arbitrations and mediations in Asia-Pacific, the Gulf States and Europe. In addition to England and Wales, he is qualified to practice in Hong Kong, and also has full rights of audience in the courts of Singapore and the Dubai International Financial Centre.
He is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, on the panel of arbitrators of DIAC and BANI (Indonesia’s National Arbitration Centre) and on the Advisory Council of the Nani Palkhivala Arbitration Centre’s New Delhi centre.
Shourav teaches arbitration on Hong Kong University’s LLM course in Alternative Dispute Resolution and at the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators International Entry Course and Fellowship Assessment Course. Shourav is also fluent in Hindi and Bengali.
Shourav is routinely rated as a leading individual in Chambers and Partners and The Legal 500.
Chambers and Partners describes Shourav as “first-rate”, “a very experienced construction disputes lawyer”, “well-read and articulate, with substantial knowledge of construction-related legal issues” whose “advice is comprehensive, practical and tailored to the circumstances of the case at hand” while also being “creative in his approach to the legal dispute… attributed to his vast knowledge and experience in handling complex construction disputes”.
He is noted for “his ability to get to the crux of the problem”, his “sharp mind” and for having a “good grasp of the law, particularly international arbitration law”. Clients praise his “hands-on involvement in cases” and “brilliant service”, and for being “extremely proactive” and “looking at things clinically and legally, but also seeing what we are trying to do on the business side”.
The Legal 500 comments that Shourav is an “experienced and seasoned counsel for any construction dispute, he gets in to the detail and puts clients’ positions to the tribunal clearly and intensively”.
CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- Acting for the highway concessionaire in a USD 5 billion arbitration in India with New Delhi seat arising out of the termination of a concession for a 135km highway in North India due to delays arising from a change in the scope of work.
- Acting for a UAE project company in a USD 200m ICC arbitration with Dubai seat in relation to the termination of the contract for the construction of Sea Water Reverse Osmosis plant in the UAE.
- Acting for a Middle East contractor of waste water treatment works in an ICC arbitration for claims for extension of time and prolongation cost on a project in Oman.
- Acting for the contractor on an ICC arbitration with Oman seat dispute on the construction of an integrated tourism project in Oman.
- Acting for a Middle East contractor of a hotel development in the UAE in a DIAC arbitration relating to the escalation in scope of nominated sub-contractor works, delay, disruption and resultant prolongation costs.
- Acting for an international consortium of contractors on a highway and tunnelling project in Eastern Europe in an ICC arbitration for claims arising from currency revaluation against a State.
- Acting for a Spanish construction company in a SIAC emergency arbitration proceeding for injunctions against the call on performance guarantee arising out of its termination on an airport project in South Asia.
- Acting for a public-listed company in Malaysia in a KLRCA arbitration dealing with allegations of breach of representations and warranties in an asset sale agreement, and failure of piling works.
- Acting for a concreting contractor in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the main contractor on an educational facility project in Dubai.
- Acting for the main contractor in an ICC arbitration in Dubai on a hotel development in Djibouti.
- Acting for the contractors of a district cooling plant in the Dubai International Financial Centre in an ICC arbitration against the main contractor.
- Acting for the main contractor defending an ICC arbitration following termination by it of its subcontractor on a residential project on the Palm Jumeirah Island in Dubai.
- Advising a joint venture of international corporations on the construction of a US$3.5 billion airport project in the Gulf.
- Advising contractors from Japan and the PRC on disputes relating to civil engineering issues on the Palm Jumeirah Island, the Waterfront and Nad Al Sheba racecourse (Meydan) in Dubai.
- Advising the main contractor on two railway and highway projects from the start of the project to multi-billion dollar mediations against the Government of Hong Kong.
- Advising a leading hotel owner and operator in relation to construction and standards issues on two hotel projects in Doha.
- Advising a Singapore oil & gas construction company on its contract for the construction of a port in South America.
- Advising a port operator in a South East Asian country on two arbitrations brought against it by the main contractor in relation to reclamation of land for the construction of the port.
- Advising a European company on a potential action under the Washington Convention (ICSID) for recovery of entitlements against a Gulf State on an infrastructure project.
- Advising a PRC contractor on issues in relation to its bid bond and reimbursement of bidding expenses on a PPP roads project in Africa.
- Advising an operator of a port on issues arising from the automation of its gantry crane fleet.
OIL & GAS
- Acting for the operator of national oil assets of a North African country in two ICC arbitrations with Paris seat brought by (a) the Korean contractor, for balance payments on a USD 425 million contract for the construction of a Floating Storage and Offloading vessel and (b) the English PMC contractor for balance payments for services rendered on this project.
- Acting for a UAE sub-contractor against a major European industrial and power generation engineering and construction company in relation an ICC arbitration with UAE seat in relation to the construction of the onshore section of a 42” pipeline on an oil and gas field.
- Acting on behalf of a PRC oil and gas pipeline construction company in a USD 90m ICC arbitration with London seat against a major multinational energy corporation on an EPC contract for the construction of well pads and oil gathering system in the Middle East.
- Advising a Middle East EPC contractor in contracts with a National Oil Company on 7 onshore oil and gas construction projects totalling a value of more than USD 1 billion on issues to do with claims of extension of time, additional cost and effects of COVID-19.
- Acting for a public-listed company in Malaysia in two arbitrations against a National Oil Company on a USD 600m offshore processing platform project and a USD 160m wellhead platform project in a South Asian country.
- Acting for a Thai oil & gas construction company in a SIAC arbitration against a Myanmar company on a dispute relating to the construction of a gas pipeline contract off the coast of Myanmar.
- Acting for a public-listed company in Malaysia in a DIAC arbitration against its agent for procurement of oil and gas projects in the UAE.
- Acting for a public-listed company in Malaysia in a UNCITRAL arbitration with seat in Singapore in relation to the design and construction of an offshore oil & gas processing facility.
- Acting for a Malaysian EPCm contractor in a circa USD 30m ICC mediation and arbitration proceedings with the employer in relation to a chemical plant in Malaysia.
- Acting for a Philippines EPCm contractor in a SIAC arbitration against its subcontractor on a pipeline project in the Philippines.
- Advising a PRC SOE contractor on its disputes for extension of time and prolongation cost in an onshore oil and gas pipeline project in Iraq with arbitration under the ICC Rules in Paris.
- Advising a multinational EPCm contractor in relation to issues arising during project execution on the first LNG receiving terminal in a Southeast Asian country.
- Advising the state oil company of Dubai on a dispute relating to the construction of an LNG receiving terminal in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising an Indian pipeline contractor on issues relating to the design and change in scope of works for the OGDIII LNG pipeline in Abu Dhabi.
- Advising a leading US oil & gas engineering company on their EPCm contract for the construction of a petrochemical plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Acting for the EPC contractor in a USD 625m ICC arbitration with London seat arising out of the termination of a solar power plant construction contract in Qatar.
- Advising the EPC contractor for the supply and installation of power cables between two South-East Asian countries in a SIAC arbitration arising out of the termination of the sub-contract for cable trenching and cable laying works.
- Advising a PRC nuclear company on its dispute with a US Engineering company on a nuclear power project in China.
- Advising a US employer in relation to issues with its PRC main contractor on a 300MW diesel power plant in Guatemala in an ICC arbitration in Singapore.
- Advising a PRC contractor on the valuation of major variations on a hydroelectric project in Pakistan.
- Acting for a Japanese public-listed company in an UNCITRAL arbitration with London seat dealing with alleged defects in the construction of a power plant in a Southeast Asian country.
- Advising a PRC contractor in relation to its works and claims on three power projects in Sudan.
- Advising a German company on issues relating to design and performance on three Waste-to-Energy plants in Europe.
- Advising a US EPC contractor in relation to payment and performance issues on a 2x600MW thermal power plant in Vietnam.
- Appearing in the DIFC court for the applicant in a de novo challenge to the tribunal’s jurisdiction in an arbitration under the DIFC-LCIA rules.
- Appearing as Singapore law expert in court proceedings in Delaware, USA, in relation to the propriety of process of service of originating process out of jurisdiction.
- Advising a major Asian construction company in World Bank Sanctions proceedings brought against the company by the World Bank in relation to alleged fraudulent practice during the tendering of logistics park construction project.
- Advising a major Asian construction company in relation to an audit by the World Bank into alleged corrupt pre- and post-contract payments made on a hydroelectric project in Africa.
- Advising a major Asian construction company in relation to an alleged breach of undertaking in its tender for a PPP project in Africa resulting from sanctions imposed by the World Bank on its parent company.
- Appearing in Metro Business Aviation v London Borough of Wandsworth  EWHC 1721 (Admin) in a judicial review of a grant of planning permission for residential development adjacent to a heliport.
- Appearing in BP Oil (UK) Ltd v Kent County Council  EWCA Civ 798 for the county council on limitation issues in relation to compulsory purchase claims.
- Appearing for The National Trust in the Stonehenge (A303) Improvement inquiry.
- Appearing for Earls Court and Olympia Group in the Maclise Road inquiry.
- Appearing for Thurrock Borough Council in the London Gateway (Shellhaven) inquiry.
QUALIFICATIONS AND AWARDS
2020 Part II (Full rights of audience), Courts of Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC)
2016 Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators (FSIArb)
2011 MSc in Management, Stanford University Graduate School of Business (Sloan Fellow)
2002 Barrister (England and Wales)
2001 Solicitor (Hong Kong SAR)
1999 Solicitor (England and Wales)
1997 Advocate and Solicitor (Singapore)
1996 LLB (Hons), Singapore Airlines Scholar, National University of Singapore
Panel Mediator, Emirates Maritime Arbitration Centre (EMAC), 2019
Advisory Council member, Nani Palkhivala Arbitration Centre (India), New Delhi centre, 2019
Panel arbitrator, Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC), 2018
Panel arbitrator, Badan Arbitrase Nasional Indonesia (BANI Arbitration Center), 2018
Legal 500 (2021) describes Shourav as an “experienced and seasoned counsel for any construction dispute” and someone who “gets in to the detail and puts clients’ positions to the tribunal clearly and intensively.”
Chambers Middle-East (2019) notes that clients consider Shourav “a very experienced construction disputes lawyer” whose “advice is comprehensive, practical and tailored to the circumstances of the case at hand.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2018) describes Shourav as having a “good grasp of the law, particularly international arbitration law, and is very hands-on in the conduct of the matters. He is articulate and also creative in his approach to the legal dispute… attributed to his vast knowledge and experience in handling complex construction disputes”.
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017) notes that clients praise his “hands-on involvement in cases” and “brilliant service”, “well-read and articulate lawyer with substantial knowledge of construction-related legal issues”.
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2016) refers to Shourav as “first-rate”. He is praised for “his ability to get to the crux of the problem”, his “sharp mind”, and he “looks at things clinically and legally, but also sees what we are trying to do on the business side”.
Chambers Asia-Pacific (2015) notes Shourav’s “forward-thinking attitude” and for being “extremely proactive”.