Atkin Chambers is pleased to sponsor the Society for Construction Law Hong Kong’s 2021 One Day Conference – “Hong Kong Tomorrow – Opportunities and Challenges for Future Projects” on Friday 12 November 2021.
Andrew Goddard QC will be chairing a panel on ‘Common contractual issues in main-contracts and sub-contracts and how they can be mitigated in future projects’ alongside Mr Mohammed Talib, Pinsent Masons, Ms Wanjing Goh, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner and Mr David Tam, Leighton Asia. The session will run from 11.15am – 12.45pm HKT.
The session will review and discuss:
The implications brought about by the Government’s adoption of the New Engineering Contracts, and what potential risks that every party should be aware of?
- Allocation and assessment of potential risk – what are the respective contractual arrangements that could be implemented by employers / consultants / contractors in addressing these risks?
- How contractors should deal with these risks in their sub-contracts?
- How design liabilities should be distributed between the employer, consultants and contractors?
- What are the relevant licensing and consent requirements required to carry out work and the risks arising thereof?
- What are the likely amendments to dispute resolution clauses in the main contracts and sub-contracts as a result of the Government’s proposals and recent developments in third party funding?
- Apart from the common main/subcontracting structure, are there any other contract structures which could mitigate the risks identified above?
About the conference:
Over the past few years, Hong Kong has experienced remarkable events which have played a major role in shaping the landscape of our construction industry. From the global pandemic to the various mega projects spearheaded by the Government, and the proposed implementation of security of payment into public works contracts, this year’s conference will explore issues arising from these impending changes, and how each and every construction practitioner can better prepare, and be prepared, to cope with the changes. The conference will examine:
- Construction 2.0 – Project governance issues in previous infrastructure projects, lessons learnt and what can be done for future projects
- Common contractual issues in main-contracts and sub-contracts and how they can be mitigated in future projects
- Security of payment and adjudication – Proposed scheme in HK and practical guidance on Adjudication from other jurisdictions
- Risks and opportunities facing future projects
The conference will be held at the Hong Kong Football Club,