Nicholas specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration with particular emphasis on professional indemnity, construction and engineering, energy and utilities, technology and related disputes.
He has a wide range of clients from all over the world including corporations, government entities, professional advisors and individuals. He has broad experience of all methods of dispute resolution with particular expertise in domestic and international arbitration, mediation and adjudication.
Nicholas is recommended in legal directories as a leading junior in the fields of professional negligence and construction.
He is a contributing editor of Hudson’s Building and Engineering Contracts, 12th edition.
CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Nicholas has represented employers, contractors, subcontractors, and consultants on many cases, both domestic and international, concerning a wide range of building and engineering projects. Recently he has acted for:
- Engineers in an arbitration relating to the design and construction of a hotel and residential complex in Dubai.
- A design and build contractor in a claim concerning the construction of a sports centre and associated leisure facilities.
He has acted for and against many professionals (as well as their professional indemnity insurers) including architects, engineers, quantity surveyors, valuers, project managers, building surveyors and solicitors. Recently he has represented:
- Engineers in respect of claims in the Technology and Construction Court relating to the design of Wembley Stadium.
- The employer in a claim in the Technology and Construction Court and the Court of Appeal relating to the design of a paper recycling facility.
- Engineers in respect of claims concerning the design and supervision of a GRP sewage pipeline project in Abu Dhabi.
ENERGY, NATURAL RESOURCES AND UTILITIES
Nicholas has wide experience acting for parties in disputes connected with power plants, gas pipelines, sewage and water treatment plants and similar facilities. Recently he has acted for:
- The main contractor in an arbitration concerning the design and supply of gas turbines for use in a combined cycle power plant.
- A water supplier in relation to claims arising out of works to a sewage treatment plant.
- A design and build contactor in an arbitration concerning the design of generators installed in a UK power plant.
He has acted for a wide range of clients on large infrastructure, road and rail disputes.
- A European government agency in an arbitration concerning claims for delay and disruption in the construction of a motorway.
- An underground railway undertaking in relation to safety measures required for engineering works over and adjacent to an underground railway.
IT AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
He has experience in the IT and telecommunications field acting for suppliers, contractors and users in relation to telecommunication systems and computer software and hardware systems. Recently he has acted for:
- The main contractor in an arbitration concerning the design and installation of audio and visual equipment for railways.
- A financial futures trader in relation to a claim for defective trading software.
- A firm of city solicitors in relation to a claim against the supplier for defective supply and installation of telecommunications equipment.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL INTERESTS
Nicholas is an Accredited Adjudicator with the CIArb and TECBAR. He sits as an arbitrator and as an adjudicator. He speaks French, Spanish and some Arabic.
Nicholas is a member of COMBAR, TECBAR, LCLCBA, CIArb, SCL (UK and Gulf) and the Society of Computers and Law.
He is a former editor of Hudson’s Building and Engineering Contracts and regularly lectures both domestically and internationally.