Edmund specialises in all aspects of chambers’ work for a wide range of domestic and international clients, particularly in the construction and engineering, information technology and professional negligence fields. Edmund’s background in engineering and information technology provides a solid grounding for the more detailed and technically complex areas of dispute.
His experience of dispute resolution includes all stages of the litigation, arbitration and adjudication processes. This includes pre and post action advisory work, compliance with pre-action protocols, settling pleadings, witness statements and submissions, instruction of experts, negotiation and preparing for and appearing at hearings, applications and trial.
Edmund is also a contributing editor of Hudson’s Building and Engineering Contracts, 12th edition and is a member of the SCL, COMBAR, TECBAR and LCLBA. Edmund is on the CEDR and TECBAR panel of approved adjudicators.
CONSTRUCTION, ENGINEERING AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Edmund is familiar with standard form engineering contract (including JCT, NEC and GC/Works) and has been instructed by both contractors and employers in a number of international and domestic disputes. Recent work includes:
- Carillion Construction Ltd v Woods Bagot Europe Ltd, AECOM Ltd, EMCOR Engineering Services Ltd and EMCOR (UK) Limited  EWCA Civ 65 and  EWHC 905,  BLR 382,  CILL 3833,  All ER (D) 11 (May). Edmund acted for the Claimant in the preliminary issue hearing in a claim arising from the construction of the Rolls Building at first instance and in the Court of Appeal.
- LXB RP (Crown Road) Ltd v Squibb Group Ltd [2016 EWHC 2669. Acted for a special purpose vehicle to enforce an adjudicator’s decision where the Claimant’s financial position was in question.
- J Murphy & Sons Ltd v W Maher & Sons Ltd  EWHC 1148,  All ER (D) 176 (May). Declarations in relation to jurisdictional challenges in an ongoing adjudication.
- Advising on legal and tactical issues as both sole and junior counsel in relation to an ongoing multi-million pound PFI scheme in the north of England.
Edmund has advised and acted in a number of professional negligence claims in a number of fields, including against lawyers, architects and other construction professionals. Edmund has also advised architects and other construction professionals on aspects of professional indemnity insurance. Much of Edmund’s construction, engineering and infrastructure work includes allegations of professional negligence.
Recent work includes:
- Acting for one of a number of defendants in relation to a defective air conditioning system in a commercial building in London.
- Sole counsel for a five day trial concerning allegations of professional negligence against a firm of architects in the TCC in Manchester.
- Acting for a claimant homeowner in relation to a claim of professional negligence against architects in relation to Professional Consultant’s Certificates.
- Instructed as sole counsel in a professional negligence dispute regarding a luxury property in the Republic of Ireland.
ENERGY, NATURAL RESOURCES AND UTILITIES
Edmund has experience in advisory work as well as adjudication and litigation in this area. In particular, he has experience of adjudications and arbitration relating to the construction of power plants, both domestically and internationally. Edmund also has experience of providing advise on an ongoing basis in relation to PFI disputes.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Edmund has undertaken work of a highly technical nature, including in relation to complex multinational licence agreements for substantial commercial software and agreements for the provision of programming services. Edmund is familiar with the technical demands of IT and Telecommunications disputes from his background as an engineer. Recent work includes:
- Sole counsel acting for a provider of public sector IT services against its large, specialist IT sub-contractor, principally involving issues of delay in relation to a government website.
- Acted as junior counsel in a multi-million pound arbitration for the provision of health care software;
- Junior counsel in an international claim concerning the production of alleged defective electrical components in the automotive industry.
Edmund has experience of varied commercial work relating to a wide range of commercial matters, including sale of goods, hire purchase and SPAs. Recent examples have been in relation to a multi-million dollar default under a Loan Note, the sale of SIM Cards and production of controls systems for motor vehicles.